This is very easy sugar cookie recipe by Samantha Merritt from Sugar Spun Run. Doesn’t spread when baking, the dough is easy to roll and to work with, a simple, versatile vanilla sugar cookie. This is a simple and easy recipe for cookie frosting and sugar cookies.
Read also: Cute Christmas Tree Cookies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (226g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar (200g)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (315g)
Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted (375g)
- Gel food coloring optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- Additional candies and sprinkles for decorating optional
See also: Chinese Food Recipes Noodles Chicken
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl and use an electric hand mixer) and beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until completely combined.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet until completely combined.
- Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap and transfer approximately half of the dough onto the wrap (dough will be quite sticky at this point, that’s OK!).
- Cover with clear wrap and mold into a disk. Repeat with remaining cookie dough in another piece of cling wrap. Transfer dough to refrigerator and chill for at least 2-3 hours3
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Generously dust a clean surface with flour and deposit one chilled cookie dough disk onto the surface. Lightly flour the dough and roll out to 1/8″ (for thinner, crispier cookies) or 1/4″ (for thicker, softer cookies). Continue to add flour as needed both on top of and beneath the dough so that it doesn’t stick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and use a spatula to transfer shapes to prepared baking sheet.4
- Bake on 350F (175C) for 9-10 minutes5, or until edges just begin to turn lightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before moving and frosting.
Sugar Cookie Frosting
- Combine sugar, 2 Tablespoons of milk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl and stir until combined. If frosting is too thick, add more milk, about a teaspoon at a time, until the frosting is thick but pipeable. If you accidentally add too much milk, add powdered sugar until desired texture is reached.
- If coloring the frosting, divide into bowls and color as desired at this point.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag with a piping tip (I used Wilton 5), or place in a Ziploc bag and snip a small piece of the corner off (not as neat, but this will still work, just take care that the frosting isn’t so thick that it breaks open the seam of the bag when you are squeezing).
- Pipe frosting on cookies and decorate with decorative candies, if desired.
- Allow frosting to harden before enjoying (this took several hours for me and may vary for you depending on the consistency of your frosting)
- Keep uneaten cookies sealed in an airtight container at room temperature.